NEW GROUP NEXT ARTISTIC FELLOWSHIP
The New Group, one of New York’s leading Off-Broadway theaters, is seeking an Artistic Fellow. The New Group is an award-winning, artist-driven company with a commitment to developing and producing powerful, contemporary theater. In addition to ongoing work on productions – both on stage and streaming – the organization’s New Group/New Works play and musical development program champions original works by emerging and established authors. The New Group also operates a variety of theater education programs that provide opportunities for artistically inclined high school, college and adult students.
New Group Next Fellowships are full-time paid appointments and are designed to train candidates from underrepresented communities in the New York theatre industry who have had limited or no access to arts training. The Artistic Fellow will work directly with the Associate Artistic Director and Director of Artistic Projects to gain experience in all aspects of the artistic work of The New Group, with an emphasis on artistic administration and line producing. The Fellow will assist in the development of new plays and musicals, from initial meetings to casting to workshops to production, and engage in discussions with artists and The New Group’s artistic staff. The Fellow will be a critical liaison between the Artistic Department and others on The New Group team. They will learn the process of cultivating and supporting promising playwrights, projects and collaborators, and communicating with writers and agents about the work.
This position will also include opportunities and training in the following:
- Designing and producing play development festivals and workshops
- Attending select production meetings and rehearsals for New Group productions
- Coordinate audition sessions and liaise with casting director and actor agents
- Support education program coordination for student classes and performances
In addition to these, the Artistic Fellow will become part of The New Group team in the following ways, in order to expand their understanding of how a non-profit theatre operates:
- Participate in departmental and staff meetings
- Attend and provide event support for Opening Nights, fundraising benefits and other special events, if any.
- One-on-one sessions with senior staff members and executive leadership to gain perspective in other aspects of the organization
- Resume guidance, job search strategies and interview preparation
- Introductions to external industry networks in chosen fields to help cultivate mentor relationships for future employment opportunities
Fellowship compensation is $15 per hour for up to 40 hours per week, plus a local Metrocard. Position begins when filled, with a commitment of 9 months.
The New Group operates as a fully vaccinated workplace. The New Group requires all employees and those working regularly and directly in our offices and as part of our productions to be fully vaccinated against Covid-19.
The New Group embraces diversity in all forms and encourages applications from all qualified candidates, regardless of gender, race, religion, national origin, or sexual orientation. The New Group is an equal opportunity employer, and BIPOC, immigrants, veterans, disabled, transgender and gender non-conforming individuals are encouraged to apply. If reasonable accommodation is needed to participate in the job application or interview process, please contact us.
To apply, submit a cover letter explaining why you are interested in the Artistic Fellowship and why you would be a strong candidate, along with a resume and three references to email@example.com. In the subject line of the e-mail, please write “Artistic Fellowship”. No phone calls please.