Director of External Affairs
The New Group is seeking an experienced arts professional to serve as its Director of External Affairs. This executive-level position provides a unique opportunity to work at one of New York City’s leading nonprofit Off-Broadway theaters, alongside its Board of Directors, donors, audience base, and staff to strengthen the organization for the future and position it for long-term success.
Reporting to the Executive Director, the Director of External Affairs will lead The New Group’s development and marketing departments and will be responsible for generating the revenue required to support the growth and advancement of the organization.
Responsibilities and Duties
- Manage daily operations, create long-term vision and goals, and tactical strategies for the company’s revenue-generating and communications initiatives.
- Direct innovative high-level fundraising efforts that enable the organization to raise significant gifts from new and existing donors and prospects.
- Advance and execute the theater’s overall development strategy to meet short-term and long-term fundraising goals.
- Enhance the company’s major-donor cultivation, including individuals, foundations, corporate partnerships, and government relations.
- Play a major role in Board relations and engagement.
- Play a strong leadership role integrating development considerations and effort into all areas of the company including artistic programs, community events, education.
- With key staff, oversee creation and execution of marketing and communications plan. With a goal of expanding participation as well as elevating The New Group’s brand/identity awareness, the theater’s integrated marketing and communications strategy will include advertising, public relations, digital and social media efforts as well as forming new strategic partnerships.
- Enhance the audience and donor experience.
- Further the theater’s efforts to reach and engage new and more diverse audiences.
- Grow and analyze data-driven research to help inform fundraising and marketing initiatives to drive revenue growth through donations, memberships, and ticket sales.
Experience and Skills
The New Group is seeking a visionary and innovative thinker with exceptional leadership skills and a demonstrated history of relevant experience. The ideal candidate will possess:
- Background in development at various levels, proven fundraising record, and capacity to formulate both traditional and entrepreneurial strategies.
- Experience in developing and managing budgets.
- Experience working successfully and collaboratively with a Board of Directors, senior management, and professional colleagues.
- Demonstrated ability to select, train, motivate, and inspire staff, while holding them accountable for their performance.
- Demonstrated ability to direct and execute effective strategies and tactics for marketing, social and traditional media, and public relations.
- Successful record of achievement soliciting major gifts, building and cultivating relationships, and leveraging a strong network of contacts.
- Successful experience managing external relationships and technical-support teams.
- Excellent interpersonal, verbal, and written communications skills – ability to build consensus across internal and external constituents.
- Highly organized strategic thinker. Experience in establishing clear direction, operating against objectives, and meeting deadlines.
- Strong management skills. Experience in both leading teams and in working collaboratively as part of a team.
- Energetic and enthusiastic leader, comfortable with both the creative elements and technical components of the role.
- High level of resilience and comfort managing strong personalities with patience and a sense of humor.
- Knowledge of fundraising/ticketing/CRM software systems.
- Proven understanding of inclusion, diversity, equity, and accessibility, the role that racial inequity plays in our society, and a demonstrated ability to effectively communicate and collaborate across differences.
- Experience working in a performing arts or cultural institution is a plus.
Salary range is $85,000 – 100,000, commensurate with experience. Benefits package includes health, dental, vision, 403b retirement, and commuter benefit plans. The New Group embraces diversity in all forms and encourages applications from all qualified candidates, regardless of gender, race, religion, national origin, disability, or sexual orientation. The New Group is an E.O.E. and BIPOC, immigrants, veterans, disabled, transgender and gender non-conforming individuals are encouraged to apply. If reasonable accommodation is needed to participate in the job application or interview process please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please email a cover letter and resume with references to email@example.com. Please put ‘Director of External Affairs’ in the subject line. No phone calls please. For more information on The New Group, please visit www.TheNewGroup.org.