The New Group, one of New York’s leading Off-Broadway theaters, is seeking a Technical Director for our upcoming production of Black No More by John Ridley and Tariq Trotter.
The New Group is an award-winning, artist-driven company with a commitment to developing and producing powerful, contemporary theatre.
The Technical Director reports to the Production Manager.
- Work closely with designers and Production Manager to evaluate designs for feasibility and make recommendations to realize designs within the given budget
- Review shop bids with designer and Production Manager, and make recommendations
- Work closely with Shop to ensure all scenic elements are built according to technical drawings and specifications,
- Monitor the progress of the Shop build and be in regular communication with the Shop to ensure all scenic elements are delivered as scheduled; and, schedule and make in-person Shop visits as needed
- Maintain communication with all designers to ensure that appropriate members of the production team are notified of any changes to the design
- Facilitate and maintain communication with designers and notify the Production team of any changes to the design
- Create and implement the production schedule in conjunction with the Production Manager and other department heads
- Hire, schedule and manage all overhire carpenters and scenic painters for load-in, work calls, and load-out.
- Manage and track set and labor budgets, and update Production Manager on a regular basis
- Attend all production meetings
- Problem-solve with the design team, stage management, production management and other department heads
Essential Knowledge and Experience:
- Proficiency with AutoCAD is a must
- Demonstrated knowledge in theatrical rigging practices and counterweight rigging systems
- General knowledge of other technical aspects (Lighting, Costumes, Props and Sound)
- Ability to lead and supervise a crew of overhire carpenters and scenic artists
- Promote a safe and efficient working environment in compliance with COVID-19 guidelines
- Commitment to EDI and anti-racism, and trainings in anti-racism, de-escalation, and harm-reducing protocols
- Ability to communicate clearly and concisely both written and verbally
- Excellent time management skills
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment
- Self-motivated, organized and detail-oriented
- Team player with a good sense of humor
- Valid driver license preferred
The New Group will be operating as a fully vaccinated workplace. The New Group will require all employees and those working regularly and directly in our offices and as part of our productions to be fully vaccinated against Covid-19.
This is a part-time, temporary position running from approximately Oct 4, 2021 – Jan 30, 2022 (Prep, load-in and work calls through Press), and Feb 21 – Mar 9, 2022 (Prep for load-out and load-out). This non-exempt position pays $32/hour. It requires evening and weekend availability.
Please email a cover letter and resume with references to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please put ‘TECHNICAL DIRECTOR’ in the subject line. No phone calls please. For more information on The New Group and Black No More, please visit www.TheNewGroup.org.
The New Group embraces diversity in all forms and encourages applications from all qualified candidates, regardless of gender, race, region, national origin, or sexual orientation. The New Group is an E.O.E and BIPOC, immigrants, veterans, disabled, transgender, and gender non-conforming individuals are encouraged to apply. If reasonable accommodation is needed to participate in the job application or interview process, please contact us at email@example.com.