New Group/Next Fellowships
Applications have closed for 2018. Please check back for future application deadlines.
The New Group, one of New York’s leading off-Broadway theaters, is seeking full-time annual fellows. The New Group is an award-winning, artist-driven company with a commitment to developing and producing powerful, contemporary theater. In addition to producing four annual productions, the organization’s New Group/New Works play and musical development program champions original works by emerging and established authors. The New Group also operates a variety of theater education programs that provide opportunities for artistically inclined high school, college, and adult students.
The New Group will offer three 12-month Fellowships in the areas of Artistic, General Management and Production. These Fellowships are full-time paid appointments and are designed to train candidates from underrepresented communities in the New York theatre industry who have had limited or no access to arts training.
In addition to the specific fellowship descriptions below, all Fellows will become part of The New Group team in the following ways in order to expand the breadth of their understanding of how a non-profit theatre operates.
- Participate in weekly departmental and staff meetings
- Attend and provide event support for Opening Nights, Fundraising benefits and other special events
- Invitations to one-on-one sessions with senior staff members to gain perspective in other aspects of the organization
- Additional mentorship and coaching by Founding Artistic Director Scott Elliott and Executive Director Adam Bernstein
- Resume guidance, job search strategies, and interview preparation
- Introductions to external industry networks in chosen fields to help cultivate relationships for future employment opportunities
Throughout the fellowship period, there will be an ongoing evaluation process to determine appropriate areas for growth and outline future goals.
At the end of the fellowship, it is The New Group’s intention that the fellows will have gained skills and experience that will make them competitive candidates for future employment in New York’s theatrical workforce.
Fellowship compensation is $13 per hour for a 40-hour week plus a local Metrocard.
The New Group embraces diversity in all forms and encourages applications from all qualified candidates, regardless of gender, race, religion, national origin, or sexual orientation. The New Group is an E.O.E. and people of color, immigrants, differently abled, transgender and gender non-conforming individuals are encouraged to apply.