Assistant General Manager/Company Manager
The New Group, one of New York’s leading Off-Broadway theaters, is seeking an Assistant General Manager / Company Manager. The New Group is an award-winning, artist-driven company with a commitment to developing and producing powerful, contemporary theater. In addition to producing three to four annual productions, an annual gala, and other special events, the organization’s New Group/New Works play and musical development program champions original works by emerging and established authors. The New Group also operates a variety of theater education programs that provide opportunities for artistically inclined middle and high school, college, and adult students. The New Group Off Stage celebrates work at the intersection of art, multimedia, and social engagement by showcasing some of today’s most compelling storytellers through web series, feature films, audio plays and more.
The Assistant General Manager / Company Manager reports to the General Manager.
- Act as The New Group’s liaison with cast, crew, and creative team at rehearsals and performances, and as The New Group’s on-site representative at the theater
- Coordinate artist travel and housing, as needed
- Collaborate with General Manager in the negotiation and drafting of actor and designer contracts
- Negotiate and draft assistant/associate agreements, and agreements for certain other creative team members
- Distribute contracts for signature, track, and file with unions and representatives
- Coordinate artist payroll (including collection of required payroll paperwork and preparation of weekly payroll reports), and distribute paychecks to cast, crew, and other creative team members
- Prepare weekly union reports for AEA and AFM/Local 802 and file reports and corresponding benefit checks with these unions
- Facilitate bio and headshot collection from all artists for program and website
- Oversee seating for creative team and TNG staff during previews
- Coordinate house seat orders with Box Office and track contractual holds and releases
- Manage workers compensation claims, from filing of claim with insurance carrier to connecting the injured party and their workers comp caseworker to assist in facilitating medical care
- Coordinate required union paperwork, agreements, and payments for readings and workshops
- Serve as a COVID Safety Manager, including coordinating testing and maintaining a safe workspace in accordance with union, venue, and TNG safety policies
- Other related duties as required
This position requires evening and weekend availability.
The ideal candidate will have the following: related experience with Company or General Management and familiarity with union agreements (AEA, SDC, USA and AFM/Local 802); knowledge of Spektrix or other ticketing software; working knowledge of spreadsheets (MS Excel, Google Sheets, or other equivalent software); excellent written/verbal communication skills; ability to problem solve and maintain a calm demeanor under pressure; attention to detail and accuracy while managing multiple projects simultaneously; a commitment to inclusion, diversity, equity, accessibility, and anti-racism, and some prior trainings (or a willingness to participate in trainings provided by The New Group) in anti-racism, de-escalation, and harm-reducing protocols. If you don’t meet all of the criteria listed above but know you have what it takes to do this job, we encourage you to apply and tell us about yourself in your cover letter.
This is a full-time exempt position available immediately, with a salary of $58,500. Benefits package includes health, dental, vision, 403b retirement, and commuter benefit plans. The New Group operates as a fully vaccinated work place, and Covid-19 vaccination is required. The New Group embraces diversity in all forms and encourages applications from all qualified candidates, regardless of gender, race, religion, national origin, or sexual orientation. The New Group is an E.O.E. and BIPOC, immigrant, veteran, disabled, transgender, and gender non-conforming individuals are encouraged to apply. If reasonable accommodation is needed to participate in the job application or interview process, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please email a cover letter and resume with references to email@example.com. Please put ‘Assistant General Manager / Company Manager’ in the subject line. No phone calls please.