Community Engagement Coordinator
The New Group, one of New York’s leading Off-Broadway theaters, is seeking a Community Engagement Coordinator. Reporting to the Director of Marketing, the Engagement Coordinator will be responsible for organizing and executing outreach and cultivation activities to link The New Group’s artistic mission to its values of inclusion, diversity, equity, and accessibility through community engagement, and audience development. The Engagement Coordinator will provide the day-to-day administration and logistical coordination to support all outreach activities.
The New Group is an award-winning, artist-driven company with a commitment to developing and producing powerful, contemporary theater. In 2022, The New Group will present the world premiere musical production of Black No More by John Ridley and Tariq Trotter and its Off Stage division will be releasing the digital series I Need Space written, directed and created by Donja R. Love. The organization’s New Group/New Works play and musical development program champions original works by emerging and established authors and the company also operates a variety of theater education programs that provide opportunities for artistically inclined high school, college and adult students.
- Conduct research to help identify potential outreach partners and communities
- Work with community engagement consultants to plan and execute outreach efforts to reach diverse community populations and to help build new audiences
- Establish contact and develop meaningful relationships with current and prospective partner organizations
- Represent The New Group at community events
- Contribute to the copy and design for outreach marketing materials, website, and social media platforms
- Capture content including videos and photos for use on social media and The New Group’s website
- Facilitate free and reduced ticket initiatives with partner organizations and schools
- Organize and manage artist talkbacks and panel discussions.
- Support the logistics for accessibility programming including Audio Interpreted, Open Caption and ASL Interpreted performances
- Some evening and weekend work required
- Some local travel required
- Other administrative responsibilities as assigned
Essential Knowledge, Skills, Abilities:
- Ability to collaborate with and adapt to a wide variety of people and personalities, working styles, and artistic visions;
- Comprehension and a demonstrated interest in advancing Inclusion, Diversity, Equity, Accessibility and Anti-Racism
- Excellent writing and communication skills;
- The ability to analyze artistic projects as they relate to culture and socio-political relevance and urgency;
- Good research skills;
- High degree of comfort and adaptability with changing circumstances;
- Organized, and detail oriented.
If you don’t meet all of the criteria listed above but know you have what it takes to do this job, we encourage you to apply and tell us about yourself in your cover letter.
This position requires a minimum of 20 hours per week with some weeks requiring more hours in relation to the needs of the schedule. The minimum rate for this position is $20/hour. Position begins immediately with a minimum commitment through April 2022.
The New Group operates as a fully vaccinated workplace. The New Group requires all employees and those working regularly and directly in our offices and as part of our productions to be fully vaccinated against Covid-19.
The New Group embraces diversity in all forms and encourages applications from all qualified candidates, regardless of gender, race, religion, national origin, or sexual orientation. The New Group is an equal opportunity employer, and BIPOC, immigrants, veterans, disabled, transgender and gender non-conforming individuals are encouraged to apply. If reasonable accommodation is needed to participate in the job application or interview process, please contact us at email@example.com.
To apply, please submit a cover letter along with a resume and three references to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include “Community Engagement Coordinator” in the subject line. No phone calls please. For more information on The New Group, please visit: TheNewGroup.org