The New Group, one of New York’s leading Off-Broadway theaters, is seeking a Production Manager. The New Group is an award-winning, artist-driven company with a commitment to developing and producing powerful, contemporary theater. In addition to producing three to four annual productions, an annual gala, and other special events, the organization’s New Group/New Works play and musical development program champions original works by emerging and established authors. The New Group also operates a variety of theater education programs that provide opportunities for artistically inclined middle and high school, college, and adult students. The New Group Off Stage celebrates work at the intersection of art, multimedia, and social engagement by showcasing some of today’s most compelling storytellers through web series, feature films, audio plays and more.
Reporting to the General Manager, the Production Manager is responsible for planning, oversight, coordination, and execution of all production related activities.
Responsibilities will include, but not be limited to the following:
- Plan season production calendar and ensure deadlines are met
- Create and track production budgets with General Manager to ensure productions are delivered on budget
- Support and advance the design process with directors and design teams by providing technical advice and guidance
- Lead all technical coordination during the bid, build, and load-in process for scenery, costumes, lighting, sound, and projection departments
- Coordinate production support as needed throughout the rehearsal process
- Communicate between creative teams, technicians, and general management about all technical aspects of the production
- Hire, schedule, and manage department heads and associated crews and run-crews
- Administer onboarding documents and timesheets, and approve weekly payroll for production staff
- Provide on-site supervision, management, and troubleshooting of production needs throughout the run of the show
- Coordinate and direct strike and load-out upon show close
- Provide production management support for workshops, readings, Off Stage projects, and other institutional activities as needed
- Complete other duties as assigned
The ideal candidate will have:
- Prior technical theatre background with some experience in a supervisory position is required; experience Off-Broadway is a plus
- Outstanding work ethic and a composed, cool demeanor adapting to evolving conditions
- A commitment to inclusion, diversity, equity, and access (IDEA), anti-racism, and ongoing IDEA education
- Excellent verbal and written communicator with strong interpersonal skills and an ability to work collaboratively with a diverse community
- Attention to detail and rigor to maintain accurate budgets and other production documentation
- Familiarity with scenic drafting and building techniques; technical direction experience is a plus
This is a full-time exempt position with a salary of $75,000.
Start date is on or around June 6, 2022. Benefits package includes health, dental, vision, 403b retirement, and commuter benefit plans. The New Group operates as a fully vaccinated work place, and Covid-19 vaccination is required. The New Group embraces diversity in all forms and encourages applications from all qualified candidates, regardless of gender, race, religion, national origin, or sexual orientation. The New Group is an E.O.E. and BIPOC, immigrants, veterans, disabled, transgender, and gender non-conforming individuals are encouraged to apply. If reasonable accommodation is needed to participate in the job application or interview process, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please email a cover letter and resume with references to email@example.com. Please put ‘Production Manager’ in the subject line. No phone calls please.